We are delighted to announce that following the latest government update, we will reopen from Monday 12th April*
Both Africa Alive & Banham Zoo temporarily closed their doors on 1 January 2021, shortly before the government announcement of the national lockdown. After 3 months of closure, we are delighted to announce we will reopen from Monday 12th April*
We will reopen our doors from 12th – 16th April for a members exclusive week! During this event each ZSEA annual/2-year pass holder can bring one friend/family member to the zoo for FREE in recognition of Stress Awareness Month (groups must follow the current government guidelines and restrictions). Members and their guests do not need to pre-book tickets for the duration of this event.
Day visitors will be able to visit the zoo from the 17th April onwards and will be required to pre-book entry. Alternatively, visitors may purchase an annual pass to get access to the member exclusive reopening week!
Our priority is the safety of our visitors, our animals and our staff. And as before, we will continue to have lots of Covid safety measures in place to make sure everyone has a safe, fun and relaxed day out with their families. These measures include:
- Advanced booking only – Both members and non-members must pre-book their tickets and a timeslot online prior to arrival. Tickets can also be purchased from within the car park with free Wi-Fi available.
- Handwashing and sanitizing points are available for visitors on entry.
Inside the zoo:
- Please be aware the following displays are currently closed due to Covid-19 precautions: Safari Roadtrain, Discovery Centre, The Giraffe house, The Wild Zone, Aardvark house and Lemur Encounters. However, this may be subject to change depending on the government guidelines and restrictions.
- Catering facilities will be limited to prepacked take-away items only from 12th April 2021 to 17th May 2021 to comply with the current government restrictions.
- A max of 10 visitors may enter the Gift Shop at one time. A member of staff will grant you entrance into the shop when sufficient space is available. Masks must be worn in all indoor areas.
- All ZSEA staff and volunteers have been issued with PPE, including face masks, to wear whilst indoors.
- Over 30 points of hand washing and hand sanitiser points throughout the zoo. These will be checked regularly and replenished as required.
- Toilet facilities are now unisex to allow for one family at a time with enhanced cleaning.
- No animal experiences, presentations or feeding talks will take place until 17th May 2021 in line with Government guidelines and BIAZA recommendations.
Preventing pinch points:
- Markings in place all around the zoo with blocked off areas especially around key enclosures to prevent crowding. Some animal viewing areas have one-way systems will have a sign displaying max persons at any point.
- Separate entrances and exits for the Gift Shop.
- Safe distance signs and floor markings to help people social distance at all times.
- Outside eating only at restaurants with tables spaced 3 metres apart and an order and collection system at two different points safely spaced and further outdoor kiosks .
- Cashless payments only throughout the zoo and at new pop up food outlets.
- Safety screens, masks and face shields for staff at entrance gates, restaurants and shops
- We will be minimising entry to maximum of 250 people per hour and maximising entrance per day of 2000 people.
Thank you to everyone who has supported us by donating, fundraising, sponsoring, joining as a member and much, much more – you are helping to care for our animals and protect endangered species around the world.
See you soon!
*Opening date subject to government guidelines and restrictions
Any member who had a valid annual pass on 1st January 2021 will receive a 3-month extension to their pass; this will be added onto your account automatically. To say thank you for your continued support each member will also receive an additional 5% on top of the current 10% discount at gift shops and main restaurants at both ZSEA Zoos (for a total of 15% off) from 12th April – 1st July 2021.
Those who pre-purchased tickets for the dates of 1st January 2021 – 12th April 2021, can redeem their visit on any day from when we reopen to the public on 17th April until 30 June 2021. No need to rebook, just quote the original booking number at the kiosk.
If you are a member of any of the following attractions & zoos, please contact your attraction for your Africa Alive discount code.
- Amazona Zoo
- Jimmy’s Farm
- Linton Zoo
- Paradise Wildlife Park
- Raptor Foundation
- Sea Life Gt Yarmouth
- Shepreth Wildlife Park
- Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens
- Woodside Wildlife Park
- Roarr! Dinosaur Adventure
- Pleasurewood Hills
Please note: Discount is exclusively for members of these attractions. Please book pass holder and non-pass holders separately. Valid passes for the corresponding attraction must be shown at admission to ensure smooth entry to the zoo.
Any member of the NHS or those with a Blue Light or Defence Discount Card will have 10% off their ticket price for their entire family group. This only applies to day ticket.
Blue Light/NHS – At Checkout, Enter Discount Code BLUE21
Forces – At Checkout, Enter Discount Code FORCES21
You will need to show identification to prove your NHS, Blue Light Card, Defence status at admission to ensure smooth entry to the zoo.
Tickets only need to be purchased for those who are to be paid for. Blue Peter badge child(ren) do not require a ticket but will need to bring their badge and ID card for admission.
Tickets only need to be purchased for those who are to be paid for. Visitors using complimentary tickets do not need to pre-book and can arrive with the rest of the party.
All that is needed for arrival at admission is the booking reference number and the name of the booker.
Gift vouchers/cards can be used to prebook a visit. However, they can only be used by prebooking over the phone and not online. Please call Guest Services on 01502 740291 to book.
The admissions arrival time is not the length of time of your visit. This is purely an entry time only. Once through admissions guests can spend as much time as they like in the zoo up until closing.
Guests can return to their car during their visit, they just need to show a receipt or booking reference to staff at admissions.
Yes, you are welcome to bring your own picnic to Banham Zoo and we have lots of outdoor seating areas around the Zoo for picnic use.