Trainee Animal Keeper
Full time position, based at Africa Alive!
About the Role:
The successful candidate will perform all duties to ensure the smooth running of the allocated animal section to optimise the quality of animal welfare and visitor experience in support of ZSEAs’ vision and mission.
- Help to ensure animal welfare, husbandry and management is of the highest standard, taking into account relevant legislation and best practice animal management.
- Contribute to the display of the animal collection to ensure suitable for animals needs and presentable to the public.
- Engage with and support visitors, ensuring your message is consistent with team objectives and in line with ZSEAs’ mission and vision whist providing first class customer care and service.
- Collate and record detailed and accurate animal records via the Zoological Information Management System (ZIMS). As well as complying with department policies in relation to administration and health & safety to ensure they are appropriately followed.
- Continuously develop yourself through appropriate learning and development activities as agreed by line management in order to deliver excellence.
- You must have worked in a zoo environment 1-3 years in a zoological establishment.
- You must be prepared to work with all kinds of domestic and exotic species, and you will also provide support for the rest of the keeping team.
- Applicants must be hard-working and conscientious.
- A full driving license is essential.
- You will have a good level of education at standard grade or equivalent qualifications (including English, Maths and Science).
- Competent in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) ZIMS, training can be provided if necessary.
Unless specifically mentioned our vacancies are normally full time however we will consider flexible working hours. Role will include some weekend, bank holiday and occasional evening work.
If you would like an opportunity to join our fantastic team, please download an application form from our website and then send it with a covering email explaining why you would be a suitable candidate for this position to:
HR mailbox: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is 11th December 2021.
Emails sent after this date will not be considered and due to the expected volume of applicants unfortunately, we will not be able to advise if they were unsuccessful or provide feedback on their applications.
ZSEA is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All staff appointments are subject to satisfactory references and Right to Work in the UK. We are an equal opportunities employer.
You have all been AMAZING with your offers of support at this challenging time and we have been inundated with enquiries about volunteering.
Due to this we are temporarily having to close our volunteer programme to new applicants.
Please keep following us on social media for further updates.