We currently have a number of vacancies in our Zoo Animal Management department at our site in Africa Alive!
About the roles
- The successful candidates will perform all duties to ensure the smooth running of the allocated animal section to optimise the quality of animal welfare and visitor experience in support of ZSEAs’ vision and mission.
Some of the tasks you will do:
- Help to ensure animal welfare, husbandry and management is of the highest standard, taking into account relevant legislation and best practice animal management.
- Contribute to the display of the animal collection to ensure suitable for animals needs and presentable to the public.
- Engage with and support visitors, ensuring your message is consistent with team objectives and in line with ZSEAs’ mission and vision whist providing first class customer care and service.
- Collate and record detailed and accurate animal records via the Zoological Information Management System (ZIMS). As well as complying with department policies in relation to administration and health & safety to ensure they are appropriately followed.
- Continuously develop yourself through appropriate learning and development activities as agreed by line management in order to deliver excellence.
What we are looking for
2 x Trainee/Animal Keeper’s – 40 hours a week
1 x Trainee/Animal Keeper – 16 hours a week
- You must have worked in a zoo environment 1-3 years.
- You must be prepared to work with all kinds of domestic and exotic species, and you will also provide support for the rest of the keeping team.
- Applicants must be hard-working and conscientious.
- A full driving licence is essential.
- You will have a good level of education at standard grade or equivalent qualifications (including English, Maths and Science).
- Competent in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) ZIMS, training can be provided if necessary.
Apprentice Animal Keeper – based at Africa Alive.
- No prior zoo or animal husbandry experience for the post of apprentice is required as full in-house training will be given, although candidates will be expected to demonstrate a keen interest in zoo animal husbandry.
- Hours: Full time position and is expected to last approximately 16 months. A driving licence is preferred but not essential.
- Salary £4.30 per hour and then minimum wage after the first 12 months depending upon age.
- The apprentice vacancy is government funded and due to this there is strict eligibility criteria, applicants with level 2, 3 or degree level animal care qualifications are not eligible to apply as government funding is not available for people with such qualifications. Applications are only invited from those aged 18 and over due to restrictions under the Young People at Work regulations. Please note – There is no accommodation offered with this position.
- About us: Unless specifically mentioned our vacancies are normally full time however we will consider, flexible working hours which will include weekends, bank holidays and occasional evenings.
- In return we offer: Competitive pay and guaranteed hours, a contributory pension, 28 days paid holiday including bank holidays (pro-rata).
- If you would like an opportunity to join our fantastic team, AA-Application-Form-Permanent-2021 from our website and then send it with a covering email explaining which role you are applying for and at which site and why you would be a suitable candidate for this position to:
Please note expected closing date for applications is 4th October 2021, however if we do have suitable candidates prior to this date we will close this advert early. Emails sent after this date will not be considered and due to the expected volume of applicants, unfortunately, we will not be able to advise if they were unsuccessful or provide feedback on their applications.
ZSEA is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All staff appointments are subject to satisfactory references and Right to Work in the UK. We are an equal opportunities employer.
You have all been AMAZING with your offers of support at this challenging time and we have been inundated with enquiries about volunteering.
Due to this we are temporarily having to close our volunteer programme to new applicants.
Please keep following us on social media for further updates.